I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

La Martiniana



When I listened to La Martiniana by Lila Downs for the first time I fell in love with this song. I was inspired by melody and the lyrics based on a Zapotec indian song. And that resulted in this drawing. I drew it very quickly and spontaneously....
Recently I heard this song again on one of the internet radio stations. I decided to share my old drawing with you...

Here is the text for those who do not know the lyrics..

La Martiniana by Lila Downs
English translation by Lila Downs

Little girl, when I die
don't cry over my grave
sing me beautiful songs, my life
sing me 'the sandunga'

Play the 'Bejuco de Oro'
The flower of all songs,
Sing the Martiniana, my life
That brings joy to all hearts.

Do not cry for me, no, do not cry for me
Because if you cry I will haunt you,
but if you sing to me, my life,
I will always live, I never die.

If you want me to never forget you
if you want me to remember you,
play happy songs, my life
music that will never die.


Do not cry for me, no, do not cry for me
Because if you cry I will haunt you,
but if you sing to me, my life,
I will always live, I never die.




Niña, cuando yo muera
no llores sobre mi tumba;
toca sones alegres, mi vida,
cántame La Sandunga.

Toca el Bejuco de Oro,
la flor de todos los sones;
canta La Martiniana, mi vida,
que alegra los corazones.

No me llores, no, no me llores no;
porque si lloras yo peno,
en cambio si tú me cantas, mi vida,
yo siempre vivo, yo nunca muero.

Si quieres que no te olvide,
si quieres que te recuerde,
toca sones alegres, mi vida,
música que no muere.

No me llores, no, no me llores no;
porque si lloras yo peno,
en cambio si tú me cantas, mi vida,
yo siempre vivo, yo nunca muero.

6 comments:

  1. hello, I did not know this song. I read the letter in Spanish and is pretty sure.
    Here I'm sending you this link. is a beautiful song from my country who also talks about dying and live. if you're interested I can try to translate the lyrics via Google.
    bye.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxF2uS7nh7E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you R.
    Just check your mail box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My worst fear is that once someone passes on us with a lawn mower, and he cut us in thousands of pieces, because we actually live in the grass of your backyard. and this guy, even he realizes that cut the head of all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, do not worry about the brick in your head.
    It is proven that a pierced brick on the head extends life a few years.
    Surely, your ideas do not fly with the wind.

    ReplyDelete