I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Saturday, June 30, 2012

A little REFRESHment


A familiar sight all over Holland once the new herring has arrived. When I came to Holland for the first time I was wondering how they do it. Now, years later, I learned to eat herring as described below.
I found the following text here ( I would not describe it better)


"Dutch people do not eat their herring in a particularly civilized fashion. No, they love to make an amusing show and a big deal about the proper “Dutch way” to eat the little fishies. Trust me, it ain’t a pretty sight! Want to cut your herring into pretty pieces and eat it with a knife and fork? Dutch people serve herring with chopped raw onions and pickles, grab the fish by its slippery tail, cock back their heads and throw it down their gullets in one fell swoop! This act alone makes even the most humble Dutch person utterly proud and brimming with nationalistic delight!"


(from Stuff dutch people like http://stuffdutchpeoplelike.com/ )




Have a nice day!

:)

15 comments:

  1. Lovely! Makes me want to eat a herring right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful illustration. When it has been caught locally and is very fresh, I like to eat Herring as sashimi (raw) with soy sauce and grated ginger. My husband likes it Scandinavian style, which is hard to get in Japan. Now you have made me curious about the Dutch style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll pass on the fishies, thank you. But the art! Oh the art! Fabuloso!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would eat e=herring that way too if I could. No herring here just sardines and I don't thinl that would be good to eat sardines that way. I have seen you a lot at Mita's I don't think I have been here at all. Well, I love this place. I think I will look around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the story!! Nice artistic interpretation Art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would make a very nice Dutch Travel poster. Nice design!

    I don't know about the Herring gulp, doesn't seem quite civilized. I was in a Japanese restaurant once and we were eating smelt fish while drinking. Seemed okay while washing it down with Saki, but I removed the heads first before eating, and ended up with a plate full of heads. Then one of the guys asked if I was going to eat all those heads, and I said no way. So he tipped the entire plate up and swallowed all the heads at once. Booze is good for two things: making you appear more attractive to women, and eating a plateful of smelt heads without gagging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way food should be enjoyed! Love the antidote and the illustration perfectly tells the tale with suitable fun and cheeky greed! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In spite of my Dutch heritage :), I have to admit that I wouldn't eat a herring ANY way. I like looking at your illustration of it, though! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha Art, yyou have a way of making me laugh! What a beautiful and silly things we are us humans! Argh, we eat Herring here but first we pickle them, then we pickleourselves with aquavit!
    And doggy bag is cwackin me up :)
    thank you for visiting
    my psych nurse is watching me type so Imust be quick....

    ReplyDelete
  10. hihi, great drawing and I like to read the herring eating story. strange people the dutchies, he? For me no herring, but I like the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. really????
    haha, now i know you better :DDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to try that, sounds fun!!!! Herring is definitely a summer thing, should be eaten with little new potatoes and a snaps. But where can I get some in China... (you made me home sick)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, dear bloggers, for all your thoughts and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there my Artichoke friend...you will like this blog I think...he is my brother in-law and just getting started. His art has lots of humor just like he does.

    Hope your are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooops forgot the link...
    http://peedeezplayhouse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete