I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Potatoes sprouts.....

Once upon time……ok,  when I was a kid I had to go occasionally to pick up a potatoes for my mom stored in the cellar in our house. Usually late in the spring or during mild winter they started to sprout. Etiolated  whitish, sometimes a bit branched sprouts  protruding from wooden box, where the potatoes were kept,  were for me equal to monsters with hundreds of long  necks, slow and ungainly moving towards the light.
(As you can see, dear reader, the imagination of a small Artichoke was at that time already fully developed  ☺)
I loathed them to touch and I developed a method how to take the potatoes out of box without physical contact: sometimes I used my daddy's Water Pump Pliers, even I may have used a fishing rod ( but it took ages to catch enough for the dinner) or other time I used an arrow or spear but every time when my mom saw the pierced or squashed tubers she shook with her head.....


Well, it is all about.... equality, isn't it? 




23 comments:

  1. A look into the cellar of another's imagination is a great thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tom, some memories are coming back, if you want or not :)

      Delete
  2. gah gah blogger ate my post,

    when I was a kid, we were so poor we used to have to watch the other kids fishing for their potatoes.....

    heh, great image, crazy funny good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes I had written another hunderd amusingly mispelled words but they all went down the potatoe gurgular

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha, with my Hearing aid I can hear what you was writing , so thank you so much for your kind words :)

      Delete
    2. That's a quality hearing aid.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Kalyan P, nice to meet you here!

      Delete
  5. Haha! Great story and terrific illustration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Cindy, thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. Poor young Artichoke...that must have been terrifying for a young vegetable...I bet your checked you body every day for sprouting shoots!!! Great post/illo my friend AIJ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D
      (I check it daily prior sleep and in the morning after I get up, you never know )
      Thanks, Rod!

      Delete
  7. This are real sweet potatoes! I wish I had such lovely sprouts in my cellar! I love the story and the drawing, specially the shadows. It looks like real shadow, like you have cut them out. Bye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hedwig! Welkom in the potatoes cellar! (and on this blog) :)

      Ik gebruikte charcoal potlood voor donkere schaduwen .
      Groetjes :)

      Delete
    2. Ha, een Hollander! Dat had ik al gezien, hoor. Ik heb je filmpjes en foto's bekeken. Mooi! Veel te zien op je blog! Waar woon je? Ergens buiten, aan schaap en paard te zien. Groeten terug!

      Delete
  8. I had similar experiences, I hated potato sprouts (or any imperfections in fruits or vegetables)... But I still love the cellar smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily, I am not the only one in this world....;)

      Delete
  9. This is a funny post, Mr. Chokin, and you are darn right, that would be scary. I've seen too many monster movies like that. In the 1960s movie 'Day Of The Triffids' the plants walked and shot stingers at people that were blinded by a meteor shower. As a young kid I couldn't bear the thought of walking plants so I waited out in the theater lobby while my brother finished watching the movie. I was a sissy. How embarrassing now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, I know that movie :) , but do not apologize, Ted. I can imagine you was very distraught at that time.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I just love their colorful little faces. Tuber-guys in all their sprouted glory.

    ReplyDelete