I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Protest...

This time ,when I was considering different approaches for this week IF challenge "Protest' , came an idea while reading a magazine about  protests against Monsanto lately and also Ted's remark in his last comment about my potatoes sprouts brought  some inspiration. Ted mentioned an old movie The Day of the Triffids , starring plants capable of aggressive behavior. So I combined both ideas into this "pencillaneous"drawing.


There are still growing protests about GM organisms all over the world. Considering all  pro's and con's, one can't be surprised that many people are pretty scared and there are indeed some serious reasons to worry about food safety, environmental impacts, biodiversity  and  monopolistic behaviour of some biotech companies...  

........

I'll finish this post with the words of A. Huxley.....

Perhaps it's good for one to suffer. Can an artist do anything if he's happy? Would he ever want to do anything? What is art, after all, but a protest against the horrible inclemency of life?

........

Do you disagree, do you protest what has been written? Write a comment

(Have a nice day and do not worry much about the Triffids plants) 




11 comments:

  1. I have to agree with Huxley's words. We as artists must suffer otherwise we would just draw 'cute' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! It's really hard drawing cute stuff! Goes against my grain, but somebody's got to do it ;)

      Delete
  2. I think Rod [and Aldous] are correct, but to a point. I think there is a joy in flexing your drawing skills to whatever ends are needed for communication. I find I do some very good work when I'm happy, and am handcuffed and incapable when suffering. Usually the best work comes when my psyche is somewhere in-between.
    ~~Much like a good actor can assume any character trait as needed, an accomplished artist can access his/her skills and talent to the beck and call of moment. There is a time for cute, and a time for edgy and a time for bland; we manipulate as needed.

    Where Aldous is correct may be in how suffering (or perhaps deep experience of a full gamut of emotions) engenders the tools we accumulate, and gives the the visual language to poeticize our imagery.

    *

    I don't often do compartmentalized artwork, but I'm am often drawn to it.
    I like your Triffids.


    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this piece very much. It's creative and has great energy. Wow! The quote certainly describes the way I approach my own art, but I'm not sure that can be said for every artist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't see the film, read the book by Wyndham, one of my favourites. Nice metaphor about risks of bio engineering! Nice drawing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the book is EXCELLENT. But I have also seen the two movies. The book Planet Of The Apes by Pierre Boulle is also excellent.

      Delete
  5. Nice drawing. In spite of the quote, it looks like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think moving to the next level in your art usually means some kind of suffering.
    Great drawing.
    BTW, shocked to read that EU is now considering allowing import of US GM products :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pencillaneous Stupenidicus! I made that up, but that's how I feel about your great art.

    Hey, there is plenty to worry about, that's true. But I kid when I say I worry about walking plants; I REALLY worry about companies who sell us water in plastic bottles. They make us think that their water is pure and healthy, but it is only fitered tap water and we pay billions and billions of dollars for it annually. A joke, one of the biggest jokes played on mankind. Eventually corporations will own all water rites, and then what will we do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say, Stupendicus, not Stupenidicus. My apologies. I'm not yet fluent in Artichokian.

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for all your comments and thoughts. I feel a bit guilty I did not respond personally but I do really appreciate it a lot . ( I was too much busy lately)

    ReplyDelete