I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Nightingale and the Rose by O.W.


'She said that she would dance with me if I brought her red roses,' 
cried the young Student; 'but in all my garden there is no red rose.'
.....

'Look, look!' cried the Tree, 'the rose is finished now;' 
but the Nightingale made no answer, for she was lying dead 
in the long grass, with the thorn in her heart.

.....

In fact, it is quite unpractical, and, as in this age to be practical is everything,
I shall go back to Philosophy and study Metaphysics.'

*
(I put my impressions (with oil colors)  on canvas after reading this story in 1986..... long long time ago)

2 comments:

  1. very strong image.
    i really appreciate your taking the time to show me this painting, as it is one of my fave short stories.
    think it's very nice to see how other people interpret the story.

    i was here yesterday and was about to say "thank very much for your showing me your wonderful posts especially this painting, it means a lot to me" but i wasnt feeling well and there were tears too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you really like it? Thank you so much! As I wrote , it is an old painting, actually I never used oil colors since this painting anymore.....I am wondering what should be your interpretation of this story. Have you ever tried it?

    ReplyDelete