I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life. Dr.Seuss

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Remains of the bug collection

Once upon a time ....when my eyes were still good, I painted these tiny bugs and butterflies on little pebbles. I collected found dead insects and use them as a model for these little paintings. I called them good luck stones. Sometimes I drilled a hole into the stone to be used as a pendant. To get an impression: on the picture above you see the original size. The smallest one is ±8 mm and the green Carabus is 28 mm tall.


As the title reveals these are remains of the bigger collection. Unfortunately a thief took most of these miniatures away some years ago........


Today, however, I did some sketching of a moth I found a few days ago. And it reminded me time past when my bug collection was complete (and my eyes were still good)




13 comments:

  1. Wow. You really did that? You must have had a magnifier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mirre!
    @Rene: No , I did not use any magnifier. ( it was in old good days...) .But now , I guess, I should need a microscope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, Agnes! I do really appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the moth sketch!
    did you know that i once was a moth?

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! We all are (were) sometimes a moth!
    "A moth is not a moth in mother; nor both in bother, broth in brother;
    And here is not a match for there,nor dear and fear for bear and pear. "

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey what a coincidence! A few days ago I remembered having seen these a few years ago. And here they are again, still as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really surprised - in positive way - that somebody remember these "pebbles" bugs...And frankly told - I even have no idea where you have seen it....Maybe somewhere in ARTISJOKKISTAN?
    But the fact you remember it makes me really happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the moth sketch is beautiful and I love the paintings on the stones. I would love a good luck pendant like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much, RTA, for your kind words. I hear often only negative news about the moths (as “The Destructive Moth and Its Impact on Our Environment”) but this time I wanted to put a spotlight on them!!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! They are absolutely beautiful— what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Szaza. I think that the robber also liked it!!! (but I was not amused...)

    ReplyDelete